A surprisingly interesting website is the Kyrgyzstan-based news outlet: EurasiaNet
Eurasianet casts a savvy local eye at the mysterious southern regions of the former USSR.
I read it for answers to questions:
- who were these bitter Cold War enemies?
- are they really one of the 4 most underrated future soccer regions (the book to read is Soccernomics)
- what is going to happen next with that terrible surprising recent violence this summer (national cops picking on the minorities, possibly directed by the recently ousted dictator, directing the violence remotely from abroad supposedly)
- are Kazakhs the world's greatest eagle trainers?
- is Ted Rall going to manage to offend crowds of people with his daily cartoons of Afghanis?
A little digging shows that George Soros' Open Society is behind the EurasiaNet website.